Pages

Chocolate Cake Easter

Baking for Easter....we baked a chocolate cake and iced it with a delicious chocolaty frosting. I must confess I licked the icing bowl (using a spoon) and gained 600g from the experience. Then all I wanted was sugar and chocolate for the rest of the day.....Yes I survived Easter, but my theory was, if I ate it all the Easter eggs and cake in one day I wouldn't gain anymore weight for the rest of the Easter break.  Alas that strategy didn't work because other easter eggs had been hidden and forgotten about!  Never mind though, it was a tasty treat while it lasted......

Somehow an Angry Bird was put amongst the chicks...


Chocolate Cake Recipe
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 cup dark cocoa
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 cup of milk
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 cup boiling water

Put all your ingredients into a bowl and beat well with mixer. Then add the hot water at the end and beat until well mixed. Pour into a lined cake tin and bake for 60 minutes at about 160 celsius (or the setting you use for cakes).
Tips:
Add your baking soda to the milk, then your sure it has dissolved...there is nothing more nasty than the bitter taste of baking soda in the cooked cake.
Using a good quality dark cocoa makes all the difference to this cake, and at times I have added melted rich dark chocolate to the mix as well.
Also I cut down the sugar to 1 cup, I figure the icing is sweet enough to compensate, just my personal taste though...

Frosting Recipe
225g unsalted butter
350g Icing sugar
1-2 tablespoons of dark cocoa

Whip butter with a mixer until very soft, then add sieved sugar and cocoa and beat until fluffy.
Tip:
Add a small amount of water to the cocoa to make it into a liquid, you get less specks of dry cocoa in the icing.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...